I was recently staying with a super awesome veg*n couple who live in the dandedong ranges in Victoria. Surprisingly, I had some fantastic vegan noms in their smallish town of Belgrave including an awesome assorted plate dished up by the owner of "hippie haven" and made with love by his mama.
We got to chatting about what traditional Australian foods are. Vegemite? Beer? Australia it seems, is much like the States and Canada and other products of british imperialism in that it lacks a deeply engrained food culture that most European countries enjoy. From what I can gather, popular Aussie food has it's roots in traditional British food. Rhys explained to me the concept of "meat and two veg" its pretty self explanatory, and often includes bland boring veggies.
I like to cook for my hosts, so I attempted to make them a vegan version of the classic dish, with a little bit more personality.
Menu:
Portobello-tofu steaks.
Salad greens w/ lemon tahini dressing.
Green beans in soy ginger sauce.
I was really happy with the results! It was super tasty and aesthetically pleasing. I'll share with you the lemon tahini dressing today, and maybe one day if you are very well behaved and I'm a little tipsy, I'll tell you how to make the portofu steaks. (yes, I just portmanteaued portobello and tofu)
Tahini Lemon Dressing
Combine:
Tahini
Lemon juice
Ginger
Fresh garlic
A litte bit of olive oil
Chili flakes
Okay.... That might be a little too simple to be called a "recipe" but if you are new to
tahini based dressings give it a shot! It's a great way to add extra protein and calcium to your salad.
What do you think is a traditional dish in the country you grew up in?
No comments:
Post a Comment