I spent 9 months in Australia, New Zealand and Fiji. It was crazy/awesome/expensive. During that time I ate some things. Actually, I ate A LOT of things. Here are the things that will live forever in my heart and cerebellum.
Generally "chai" in Australian cafes involves some sort of powder with heaps of sugar, a little cinnamon, and no actual tea from what I can tell. I was misfortunate enough to waste 6$ discovering this at a late night in the Melbourne Airport.
There are a few places that have good chai that I've found, one being the Lentil As Anything
The BEST chai though, I found in Byron Bay, NSW.
Byron Bay is one of those backpacker musts. It's not exactly far off the beaten trail. Byron is famous for being a laid back, surfer, hippie town.
Theres lots of yummy organic food and art and chilled out people everywhere! It does however have an edge of commerciality, its like if disneyland made a "hippie surfer town" ride.
I will always remember it fondly as: The Most Easterly Point of the Australian Mainland!
![]() |
| YAAAAYYYYY |
Anyways, one day I was walking the main street and some lovely granola-type people (or possibly actors paid by disneyland to play granola-type people) were setting up a chai booth!
This chai was by donation and came in a ceramic mug to be returned later instead of evil styrofoam.
The donation went to errrrrrrrr…… A worthy cause that I can't remember!
What I do remember though, is that it was delicious and warm and spicy and sweet.
I took my ceramic mug to a picnic table and drank it while I read The Hunger Games.
Choice!
(Also: All the photos in the post were taken by, and belong to ME)

No comments:
Post a Comment